How to invest from Chang Mai?

I often write on, where I am the most viewed writer on financial matters, with over 321.9 million views in recent years.

In the answers below I focused on the following topics and issues:

  • How to invest from Chang Mai if you are an expat?

Some of the links and videos displayed on the original answers might not show up on here, and if so, you will need to refer to the original answers to view that.

If you want me to answer any questions on Quora or YouTube, or you are looking to invest, don’t hesitate to contact me, email ( or use the WhatsApp function below.

How to invest from Chang Mai?

There is something unique about Chang Mai compared to most other expat cities.

Namely, alongside Bali, it is the unofficial “digital nomad” and location-independent city in Asia.

The number of corporate expats is small compared to retirees, digital business owners, and nomads.

This doesn’t make much of a difference apart from in one way – almost all legal brokers now require a tax identification number (TIN) to open a new account.

This means when applying for a new account, you can either use a Thai TIN number if you have one, or your old one in your home country or last expat destination.

You can carry on investing back home and hope the broker doesn’t find out you have moved abroad, but this isn’t a good strategy.

Australia and Canada now require expats to show “intent” that they have left the country and don’t plan to come back for a while.

In other words, unless you cancel your existing gym membership or investment accounts, they might consider you a tax resident back home, even if you don’t spend even one day back home.

The UK is less strict, for now at least, but tax-efficient ways of investing, like ISAs, aren’t legal for expats.

This means that expats require portable, tax-efficient investment plans that move with you as you move around the world.

Anything else has too many risks associated with it.

As more governments need extra money due to aging populations and lockdowns, increasing taxes on expats who haven’t crossed the I’s and dotted the Ts might be an easy target.

The US has already done that, and other countries might follow suit, so it is important to have everything done properly.

How can you do this?

The process is simple

  1. Find an online broker or advisor.
  2. Complete the application forms which will require a TIN number and your personal details
  3. Provide your proof of ID and address. This is for international money laundering requirements.
  4. Fund the account once it is approved
  5. Make the trades.
  6. Update the account when you move from Thailand, or even move internally. You can usually log in to do this.

So, a simple process once you get it right.

Pained by financial indecision? Want to invest with Adam?

Financial Planner - Adam Fayed

Adam is an internationally recognised author on financial matters, with over 321.8 million answers views on and a widely sold book on Amazon

Further Reading 

In the article below, taken directly from my online Quora answers, I spoke about the following issues and subjects:

  • If we believe the economy will always grow in a long term should people always buy stocks no matter where the market is?
  • Is having a mentor important in life? 
  • Do I personally own Tesla’s stock? 
  • Do you need to have gone to business school to be successful in business? 
  • Will Evergrande be China’s Lehman moment? 

Add a comment

*Please complete all fields correctly

Click to Hide Advanced Floating Content

Adam Fayed financial consultant WhatsApp