Union Bancaire Privée Review part 2 – Part one is here.
Table of Contents
Discretionary Portfolio Management
If you are looking for a partner to preserve and grow your assets over time, the UBP investment specialists are there to help you. Thanks to the bank’s strategic capabilities and extensive investment solutions, it provides services tailored to your personal requirements.
The discretionary approach to portfolio management consists of a few key points:
They live in a time of upheaval and rapid change that affects every investor differently. The bank’s approach is based on understanding your goals and aspirations, fully integrating them into its investment strategy. In this way, your portfolio becomes a true reflection of who you are.
At UBP, they help their clients achieve the best results with a range of targeted investment solutions designed to meet each individual need.
Confidence and flexibility
Conviction and flexibility are core values at UBP. They are what drive them to innovate and make an impact, allowing to set clear long-term goals while remaining flexible in times of short-term uncertainty.
The bank’s history, vision and mission of UBP is to preserve wealth. This has been the basis of trust between the Bank and its customers for decades. It forms the basis of the Bank’s own approach to risk management.
UBP discretionary portfolio management services
UBP has developed two discretionary portfolio management services to create the best solution for each of its clients.
U Asset allocation
Satisfy your investment management needs with a single, diversified investment platform, accessible through a single fund, designed to suit your risk appetite.
UBP U Asset Allocation investment solutions are based on UBP’s proprietary investment process to help you achieve your wealth goals with a single, dynamic investment. This range is based on UBP’s years of experience in managing high net worth discretionary portfolios and may include sustainable and responsible investment strategies.
U Asset Allocation solutions give you the opportunity to invest in different regions, asset classes, and instruments. The specially designed fund structures are transparent and designed to comply with tax regimes in various jurisdictions.
The U asset allocation range includes 6 investment profiles:
- Calm SEA (Art.8 product under SFDR)
- Open SEA (Art.8 product under SFDR)
Individual investment solutions
Achieve your investment goals with a range of targeted investment solutions tailored to your individual needs, backed up by a highly personalized level of service.
In the current environment, clients are increasingly focusing on achieving specific goals and need a customized investment philosophy to achieve them. UBP’s experience in developing custom solutions allows to design innovative targeted investments that best suit your specific needs, offering you the right level of interoperability.
At the heart of this approach is an open, transparent, and regular dialogue about the strategic objectives of the portfolio, the beliefs, and your requirements as they change over time.
UBP has developed a range of bespoke assignments to achieve goals ranging from wealth preservation to capital appreciation while keeping risk management at the center of the asset allocation process.
- UBP’s Bespoke Asset Allocation mandates provide strategic diversification across asset classes with varying risk/reward profiles, as well as investment exposure with a high degree of conviction.
- UBP’s Individual Target Return Mandates provide investment solutions to achieve a predetermined target rate of return based on our assessment of the economic and broad market context over the next five years.
- UBP’s Bespoke Responsible Investment Asset Allocation Mandates enable you to align your investments with your personal values while delivering sustainable long-term returns. (Product Art.8 under SFDR)
- UBP Bespoke Fixed Income: In these times of ultra-low interest rates, active management is essential to earning a regular and stable income. That’s why the UBP Bespoke team of experts takes a global approach to investing in fixed income instruments. Focused on lending and interest-bearing instruments, our fixed income solutions emphasize capital preservation and income generation in line with individual levels of risk tolerance.
- UBP Multi-Asset Income: The Custom-Multi-Asset Income Mandate is a global, actively managed strategy. It aims for a sustainable and competitive income stream across a wide range of asset classes while maintaining real purchasing power and carefully managing risk.
- UBP Equity Quality Income: The Individual Equity Quality Income mandate is an actively managed equity portfolio. It aims to maximize overall returns, including capital gains and dividends, using quantitative screening and qualitative analysis to identify stocks with high dividend payouts and potential for future growth.
Investments at UBP
The bank is a full-scale asset manager, providing its clients with access to a wide range of high-quality investment solutions, many of which are highly rated by independent agencies across multiple asset classes.
UBP has been a pioneer in the field of alternatives, having invested in hedge funds since 1972, and is one of the leading players in the industry in Europe with around US$12 billion in alternatives assets to date. UBP Alternative Investment Solutions (AIS), thanks to its institutional structure, rigorous investment process, and solution-oriented approach, offers a wide range of products and services to private and institutional clients.
Why Consider Alternative Solutions?
Much has changed in alternatives since the global financial crisis. What used to be considered a risky, unregulated, opaque industry with poor liquidity and high fees has since gone through many changes. Increased regulation with the advent of alternative UCITS funds has led to greater transparency and increased liquidity. With the growth in institutional investor participation, fees have become more competitive and the risk/reward profile of alternative portfolios has become more conservative. Ultimately, these changes mean better protection for investors.
Key Benefits of Alternative Investments
Alternative investments offer different characteristics or profiles, each of which provides investment benefits in the context of a global portfolio distribution. In general, the addition of carefully selected alternative strategies should improve the risk/reward ratio of the portfolio. In the current market environment characterized by low interest rates and volatile stock markets, alternative solutions can be divided into three main profiles:
- Asymmetric Equity: Taking part of the market up, but with controlled volatility and limited drawdowns.
- Fixed Income Alternative: Access to fixed income-like risk/return profiles with limited correlation as a replacement for low-yield investments.
- Uncorrelated Strategies: Access to unconventional sources of income decorrelated from traditional asset classes.
UBP seven-step process builds on UBP’s strengths:
- Asset allocation: the initial stage of the process, setting the client’s goals, guidelines and risk parameters.
- Investment research: search for high quality managers in all areas of the alternate universe.
- Operational Due Diligence: reduce the risk of managerial failure and fraud through a consistent operational risk framework.
- Portfolio management: creating a diversified and robust portfolio solution that meets the investor’s goals and recommendations.
- Operations and back office: strong and experienced middle office with the ability to use leading external service providers.
- Risk management: integrated into the investment process at the manager and portfolio levels.
- Customer Service: experienced, dedicated resources fully focused on AIS customers.
The bank’s goal is to offer clients a wide range of investment solutions that meet their goals and constraints. This includes both multi-manager solutions, expressed either in individual mandates or mixed products, as well as single-manager solutions providing access to compelling strategies through the partnerships they have developed. The solutions are available in both regulated and unrestricted formats.
Pained by financial indecision? Want to invest with Adam?
Adam is an internationally recognised author on financial matters, with over 361.7 million answers views on Quora.com and a widely sold book on Amazon