+44 7393 450837
Follow on

Obtaining Residency through a Non Lucrative Visa to Spain in 2022

A non lucrative visa to Spain is suitable for expats who plan to stay in the country for a year or more. There are different conditions that need to be met should you decide to pursue an application for this type of visa. 

If you have any questions or want to invest as an expat or high-net-worth individual, you can email me (advice@adamfayed.com) or use these contact options.


The country of Spain is home to around 47 million people, with most of them living in the capital city of Madrid. It is generally a sunny country that provides its citizens with 3,000 hours of sunshine each year. Expats who plan to retire or establish residency in the country can consider getting a non lucrative visa to Spain.

What is a Non Lucrative Visa to Spain?

Individuals not of EU nationalities can apply for a non lucrative visa to Spain. This is a residence permit that allows the holder to live in the country for one year. It comes with the condition of having enough financial means to support yourself even without working in Spain. 

Family members of the applicant can also apply for a non lucrative visa to Spain. This includes a spouse, an unmarried partner, dependent children, and dependent relatives. Because of this, there is no need to worry about leaving loved ones behind.

Reasons to Apply for a Non Lucrative Visa to Spain

First, applicants do not need to invest in Spain to obtain a non lucrative residence permit. Proving your financial capabilities will be enough to allow you to stay in the country for at least a year.

Second, it can be an entry point to eventual permanent residence in Spain. 

domestic travel europe
Expats with a non lucrative visa to Spain can travel around Europe.

Third, you can even travel to any of the 26 different Schengen countries with just this visa, as long as your visit does not go beyond 90 days.

Fourth, you can apply for a work permit in Spain after the duration of your non lucrative visa.

Lastly, family members who come to Spain with you are allowed to study.

What are the Requirements for the Non Lucrative Visa to Spain?

According to Article 46 of the Foreigner Regulations, the requirements for a non lucrative visa to Spain are as follows: 

  1. Proof that you have sufficient funds to financially support yourself and your family, if moving with them, without having to work
  2. Have a private health insurance or international expat health insurance
  3. Must be in good health
  4. Do not have a police record for the conduct of serious crimes
  5. Was not issued an entry ban to the Schengen Territory

Proof of Sufficient Funds

This is the major requirement that any applicant for a non lucrative visa to Spain should fulfill. Visa holders will not be allowed to work in an institution that operates in the country. 

Just this year, on January 1, the Public Indicator of Income for Multiple Effects (IPREM) was increased by the Spanish government. The IPREM is an index used by Spain to determine the minimum income that an individual must have each year. This ascertains the capability of the applicant to support themselves instead of depending on the national government.

Minimum monthly income€579.02
Minimum annual income€6,948.24
2022 IPREM

Individuals applying for a non lucrative visa to Spain should have 400% of the IPREM value in their bank account annually. This is the minimum amount that one should present. Because of this, applicants should have at least an income of €2,316.08 per month. In a year, it equates to €27,792.96.

If you are moving to Spain with family members, you must prove that you can support them as well. Proof of 100% IPREM, or €6,948.24 per individual per year, is required. This is in addition to the 400% of the IPREM for yourself.

The amount on your document should be in the currency of euros. If this is not applicable, an international currency that can be exchanged to euros is also accepted. 

What Type of Document Can I Show as Proof of Sufficient Funds?

There are different documents that can be used to provide proof of sufficient funds. These include any of the following:

  • Bank statement 
  • Employment letter
  • Proof of investment
  • Income from different sources

The bank statement should include the balances of the account for the past 6 months prior to applying for a non lucrative visa to Spain. Applicants are not just limited to submitting one bank statement. If they have multiple bank accounts, they can submit their documents for each of those accounts. 

bank statement1 1024x683 1
A bank statement can be submitted as proof of sufficient funds.

An employment letter is accepted for expats moving to Spain but are employed by a company from another country. However, remote work remains a gray area in the application. In general, it is advisable not to refer to such instances.

When submitting documents related to credit cards or property values, they must be validated by your bank. Furthermore, the documents must be under the name of the applicant. Both the original and copies of the documents should be submitted.

Other Documents for the Application of a Non Lucrative Visa to Spain

1. National Visa Application Form 

Make sure to properly fill out the visa application form with correct and complete information. It must be signed in the appropriate boxes. Doing otherwise will most likely result in the denial of your application. 

2. Non-Working Residence Visa Application Form

The EX-01 form must be filled out accurately and with no missing information. It must be signed as well.

3. Passport-Size Photo

Head to a studio to have your photo taken by a professional. You must be facing the front and have a white or light-colored background. There should be no obstructions on your face, such as dark or reflective glasses or garments that hide the shape of your face. Have it printed as a 3.5cm x 4.5cm-sized photo.

4. Valid Passport

Apart from being prepared with your original passport, make a copy of the first page on it as well. Other pages that have biometric information should also be photocopied.

The passport should not have been issued more than 10 years from the date of the visa application. At the same time, it should still be valid for at least a year. 

At least 2 blank pages should be available. This is where the Spanish embassy will attach the approved non lucrative visa to Spain.

5. Criminal Record Check Certificate 

The police clearance proves that applicants do not have any criminal records in the country where they have resided for the past 5 years. It should have been obtained no more than 90 days before the date of the visa application. This requirement is applicable to individuals who are 18 years of age or older. Minors are exempted from providing such documents.

These should be legalized or apostilled. There are also instances where an official Spanish translation, which means that it was done by someone certified by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, must be provided.

Private health insurance is a requirement when applying for a non lucrative visa to Spain
Applicants are required to have their own health insurance.

6. Private Health Insurance

Given that the non lucrative visa to Spain is of the private type, applicants should similarly have private health insurance to cover their medical expenses while in the country. Insurance policies with copayments are not allowed.

The health coverage should also last for one year or more. It has to be obtained from a company that officially conducts its activities in Spain. Moreover, the insurance plan should include all the risks that are covered by the public health system in the country.

Original documents and photocopies of them must be attached to the application.

7. Medical Certificate

A medical certificate from a licensed physician is required. It should state that the applicant does not have any disease that is a risk to public health, such as yellow fever, in accordance with the International Health Regulations (IHR) 2005.

The original copy and a duplicate must be submitted. It should be legalized or apostilled as well.  

8. Proof of Residence in the Consular District

Any document proving your residency in the country from which you are applying.

What Are the Documents Needed by Family Members Applying for a Non Lucrative Visa to Spain?

All the documents listed above are similarly necessary for family members. 

If the applicant is a minor, one of their parents should sign the national visa application and the residence permit application. 

Additionally, documents that prove the family relationship with the sponsor should be provided. These include any of the following:

  • Birth certificate issued by the civil registry 
  • Marriage certificate issued by the civil registry
  • Certificate of registration as an unmarried couple, or any other document proving the partnership between the sponsor and applicant

If the family member is an adult child, the following documents must be provided:

  • Proof of financial dependence to the sponsor
  • Civil status of the adult child
  • Proof that the adult child is part of the family unit 

If the family member is in the ascending line, such as a parent or grandparent, they should submit the following: 

  • Proof of financial dependence to the sponsor
  • Proof that the applicant is part of the family unit 

The documents mentioned above have to be legalized or apostilled. If necessary, an official Spanish translation of the document must be submitted.

How Much are the Fees When Applying for a Non Lucrative Visa to Spain?

Additionally, all applicants are required to complete two copies of Form 790, Code 052. Check off box 2.1, which indicates that an initial temporary residence permit is being applied for.

The application fee for a non lucrative visa to Spain is 80 euros. This is applicable to each of the applicants, whether they are the sponsor or family member.

Fees can be paid at the Consular Office of Spain where you are currently residing. It can also be done through online means, which can be found on the site where Form 790-052 is published. To proceed with the online payment, the payee should have an electronic DNI or a Digital Certificate. When successful, the proof of payment generated by the site should be attached.

However, there is a different fee charged to citizens of Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, the United States of America, and the United Kingdom. This is because of reciprocity between Spain and the aforementioned countries. In this case, applicants should call the Consular Office to ask about the specific fees to be paid.

Where Do I Apply for a Non Lucrative Visa to Spain?

Applications should be submitted at the Consular Office. The applicant must set an appointment at the office to physically give their documents. For applicants who are minors, one of their parents can submit their application for them.

eea spain 1920x1080 1
Applicants are required to submit their documents in-person at the Spanish Embassy.

After submitting the application, applicants will receive a proof of receipt from the Consular Office. It includes a code that they will use to check the status of their application. A copy of form EX-01 and form 790-52 will also be provided to the applicant.

The Consular Office may ask for additional documents that are needed in the decision-making process for the approval of the visa. The applicant may be called in for a personal interview if deemed necessary.

How Long is the Processing Time for a Non Lucrative Visa to Spain?

A decision on the approval or rejection of an application will be made within 3 months from the date of submission.

However, it can take longer than that if additional documents or a personal interview were required.

What to Do After a Decision Has Been Made by the Consular Office

Applicants who have been approved should collect their visa in person at the Consular Office. It should be done within 1 month, which starts after the day of being notified. If the applicant is a minor, a legal representative can do it for them. More details will be provided by the Consular Office about this process. 

Applicants who have been rejected will receive such a decision in writing. The letter will include the reasons why it was not approved.

An appeal can be submitted for the rejection to be reconsidered. It has to be done within 1 month on the day after the applicant was notified. This should be addressed to the Consular Office. 

The applicant can also request a judicial review by the High Court of Justice of Madrid. This should be done within 2 months.

How Long is the Non Lucrative Visa to Spain Valid?

Upon issuance of the visa, you have to arrive in Spain within 90 days.

The visa is valid for a maximum of 1 year. However, holders of the non lucrative residence permit should stay in the country for at least 183 days. 

When already in Spain, visa holders should apply for a Foreigner Identity Card within one month of entry into the country. They can request this at the Foreign Nationals’ Office or the relevant police station.

When the initial visa expires, it can be renewed twice thereafter for a 2-year period (2 x 2). On each renewal, you must prove that you can sustain 800% of the IPREM value since the renewed visa will already be valid for 2 years.

In total, an expat can live in the country for up to 5 years with a non lucrative visa to Spain. When this has been maxed out, permanent residency can be applied for since living in the country for 5 years makes you eligible for it. Because of this, the visa is one of the gateways for you and your family to move to Spain.

Restrictions of the Non Lucrative Visa to Spain

Expats with a non lucrative residence permit will not be allowed to work in Spain. This is purely for residence purposes only. They must live on passive income, which includes earnings from dividends, trust funds, pensions, or rent. Having this condition prevents expats from competing with locals in the job market.

Services of the public healthcare system are not available to non lucrative visa holders.

Lastly, since you have to stay in the country for at least 183 days, there is a possibility of becoming a legal tax resident in Spain.


With this, expats who have sufficient means of financially supporting themselves and their families should apply for a non lucrative visa. It would be a good entry point to temporarily retire in the country or become a permanent resident.

Pained by financial indecision? Want to invest with Adam?

smile beige jacket 4 1024x604 7

Adam is an internationally recognised author on financial matters, with over 760.2 million answer views on Quora.com, a widely sold book on Amazon, and a contributor on Forbes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This website is not designed for American resident readers, or for people from any country where buying investments or distributing such information is illegal. This website is not a solicitation to invest, nor tax, legal, financial or investment advice. We only deal with investors who are expats or high-net-worth/self-certified  individuals, on a non-solicitation basis. Not for the retail market.



Gain free access to Adam’s two expat books.

Gain free access to Adam’s two expat books.

Get more strategies every week on how to be more productive with your finances.