After my first appearance on the show a few months ago, it was great to make another appearance on the business over beers podcast which was released today.
Topics discussed included:
- Why the world has pressed the fast forward button when it comes to the online world, with some of the big boys like Amazon and Zoom expanding massively
- In the worst of the crisis, some people panicked and other people saw falling markets as an opportunity.
- Why markets always come back in the US and some other places and the importance of staying the course.
- Why a good investor should see themselves as a collector, in this case a collector of units, and celebrate any falling market prices when they are young or even more than 5 years away from retirement.
- What should people invest in when they are young compared to when they are close to retirement
- Why the UK isn’t in the best shape and could introduce an expat tax for British people living overseas.
- Is a recession in the UK and beyond likely, and is a V shaped recovery likely?
- Could taxes or inflation rise a lot due to the huge government interventions? Or could the US and other countries threaten to not pay China back if they don’t pay reparations for the virus?
- Why past correct predictions are no indication of future right predictions. In other words, an economist that predicts one recession, might not get the next one right.
- What are most of our clients asking us now and how are we investing their money?
- Has lockdown positively or negatively affected my business?
- Why there is no connection between the stock markets and the economy. Historically, the US Stock Markets have been up on recessions!
- Why investors shouldn’t worry about the 2020 elections and should learn the lessons from 2016, when many investors were petrified of Trump getting elected.
- The benefits of monthly investing.
- Why you can’t make investment decisions based on P/E ratios.
- Why emotions are the biggest reason for investing losses, even for investment pros.
- Why you should be sceptical about the news media.
- There is only one reason why you shouldn’t invest – if you can’t deal with declines and panic sell
- The Nasdaq vs S&P500 vs Dow Jones
- The importance of not losing faith during the bad periods of stagnation.
- Why most do it yourself investors do badly.
- The most important thing; what is the best way to handle your investments during times of uncertainty like this.
Want to join our webinar in 2 days? The details are below.