Here’s how to buy US stocks from Liechtenstein.
If you want to invest as an expat or high-net-worth individual, which is what i specialize in, you can email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or use WhatsApp (+44-7393-450-837).
Table of Contents
Diversifying your investment portfolio across geographies is an excellent method to get consistent results and plan for the future. If you want to diversify your portfolio across geographies, the stock market in the United States is a great place to start. The country is home to some of the most innovative tech companies and other wealth-generating enterprises, all of which provide excellent investment prospects. Furthermore, it is an intriguing proposition because of the minimal connection between Liechtenstein and US equity markets.
How to Open a US Trading Account from Liechtenstein
Opening an investment trading account with an online broker is a simple online process that requires the following:
- First, select the broker who best meets your investment objectives.
- Upload an ID and proof of address (energy, water bills, etc.) via the Broker’s App or email.
- Make sure you select the correct account’s base currency. Changing it after you open the account might be difficult with some brokers. Trading Accounts can have a base currency of US Dollars (USD), Euros (EUR), Swiss Franc (CHF), Pound Sterling (GBP), or Australian Dollar (AUD). Almost the majority of them allow you to pay in either US dollars or Euros.
- It’s time to deposit money into the account after the Broker has approved it. Credit cards, bank transfers, and eWallets are the most common means for depositing and withdrawing funds (PayPal, Neteller, Skrill, PaySafe, SafetyPay, among many others). Each Broker will have different possibilities for depositing cash. One important point to note is that all of the brokers listed above let you to utilize a simulator on their site, which means you may test their Demo account for free. To put it another way, you may create a Demo account to test the platform before deciding whether or not to deposit money.
Required Minimum Amount to Invest in US Stocks from Liechtenstein
Unlike what most people believe, the answer to this issue is that many stockbrokers do not have a minimum deposit (or a little quantity of cash); so, there is no minimum amount. Furthermore, in order to attract more clients, many brokers do not charge a commission when purchasing shares in American corporations.
Easy Way to Buy US Stocks from Liechtenstein
Online Brokers make it simple to invest in the New York Stock Exchange with specialized applications that provide quick and easy access to US financial markets. In truth, most platforms are meant to be similar to a social network or any other phone app in such a way that they are built so that the investor can learn and start trading fast, with no prior expertise required. To acquire shares of, say, Apple, or to invest in a financial instrument that mimics the S&P500 index, you must literally:
- Look for an online broker.
- Create an account
- Fund your account
- Buy the US stocks you want on the broker’s trading platform
- Check transaction fees twice.
After that, you are officially investing in financial assets tied to the United States. If you want to proceed, consider the four choices we gave earlier, which are, in our opinion, the finest to deal with in Liechtenstein.
Tax on US Stock Trading from Liechtenstein
“Our new Constitution is now established, everything seems to promise it will be durable; but, in this world, nothing is certain except death and taxes,” Benjamin Franklin declared while working on the US Constitution.
Things aren’t all that horrible, though. Because the IRS (the US tax inspector) would classify you as a non-resident alien (you are a foreigner who does not live in the US), you would not be liable to Capital Gains Tax, but just to the Dividend Tax of 30%.
Does it work? When the firm in which you invested delivers dividends to your trading account, your broker would deduct the amount. For example, if you buy 100 Apple shares and receive dividends of $0,20 per share, you will receive $20 less $6, for a total of $14.
New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq: Liechtenstein’s Two Most Popular Investment Markets
The New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq are the two most popular exchanges for Liechtenstein investors.
The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), based on the mythological Wall Street, is the world’s most comprehensive stock exchange by market capitalization, where shares and bonds of giant North American firms are exchanged. Consider a Liechtenstein saver who invests in New York Stock Exchange equities or bonds. In this example, he is betting on the historically strong US Dollar while diversifying his portfolio with the most widely traded financial assets on the planet.
The general public’s most desired financial assets are shares in large American corporations. Below are some of the most popular stocks on these two stock exchanges, beginning with those that trade on the NYSE:
- Alibaba Group: China’s e-commerce giant, owned by Jack Ma.
- Berkshire Hathaway: An investment corporation owned by the legendary investor Warren Buffet.
- Exxon Mobil: World’s largest oil and gas producer.
- Johnson & Johnson: An industrial colossus that produces articles of mass consumption.
- J.P. Morgan Chase: Diversified Financial Group.
- Mastercard: Provider of credit cards worldwide.
- Procter & Gamble: Another mass consumption industrial giant.
- Visa: Largest provider of credit cards in the world.
- Walmart: Number 1 supermarket chain worldwide.
- Walt Disney: The well-known entertainment and content company is also listed on the NYSE.
The following tech titan companies are among the Nasdaq’s most popular stocks:
- Apple: It is unnecessary to introduce the firm that transformed the mobile industry by producing the iPhone.
- Facebook: Another name that needs no introduction: the world’s largest social media platform.
- Amazon: The most popular eCommerce platform in the United States and throughout the world.
- Netflix: Mobile application of series and movies with the most number of subscribers globally.
- Google (Alphabet): A well-known tech empire. We simply need to note that Google’s shares are referred to as “Alphabet” on the Nasdaq.
- Tesla: Elon Musk’s vision.
These are incomplete lists of the most well-known stocks; there are a large number of globally-recognized firms and brands in which to invest. Investing in the S&P500 index, which includes the top 500 businesses listed on both the New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq, provides a well-rounded approach to investing.
S&P500: The Index that Best Reflects the Combined Performance of NYSE and Nasdaq
The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index, abbreviated as S&P500, is one of the most widely followed stock market indexes in the United States, the other one being the Dow Jones. The S&P500 is regarded as the most representative index of the US real economy.
The index is based on the market capitalisation of 500 big corporations that traded on the New York Stock Exchange or the New York Stock Exchange. The S&P500 accounts for over 80% of the total market capitalization of the United States. The S&P Dow Jones Indices rating agency determines the S&P500 index components and their weighting.
It varies from other financial market indexes in the United States, such as the Dow Jones Industrial Average or the Nasdaq Composite index, in terms of the variety of elements that make up the index and its weighting technique. It is by far the most heavily invested stock index in the planet. Many people regard it to be the North American economy’s trend indicator; that is, if the S&P500 rises, the economy is doing well.
Investing in a financial instrument that mimics the S&P500 Index is (the best?) a great method to participate in a significant section of the North American economy through the shares of its corporate behemoths.
The stock market in the United States is by far the largest in the world. When you invest there, you are theoretically investing in the most valuable currency, the US Dollar. If you’re going to put your money somewhere, the basic line is that the #1 Economic Superpower may not be the worst location to put it.
Pained by financial indecision? Want to invest with Adam?
Adam is an internationally recognised author on financial matters, with over 491.7 million answers views on Quora.com and a widely sold book on Amazon